Monday, January 21, 2013

Well, here is my progress on Think Pink.  I am pretty pleased with it. The baskets are attached as is the vase with flowers.  I am in process with the row of blocks on the bottom. I am pondering adding a row of small flying geese or some sort of additional border at the top as it looks a little bottom heavy  to me. What do all of you think???  Of course, there area lots of little bits of handwork that needs to be done and embellishments that need to be added but I think this is a good size.  I will be taking this with me to work on this coming weekend for our Rhode Island retreat.  I also got my January pillowcase finished for my Bella.


TURNING THE PAGES


For my first edition of Turning the Pages, I want to tell you about this book I got through Book Bub which emails me books to purchase every day through Amazon. This one was 99 cents. Free Country is a story about two 20 something English guys who travel from Land's End in England to John O'Groats in Scotland, basically the length of the British Isles (approx. 1000 miles). It is a popular trip for cyclists and walkers but these guys added a twist.  They started in Land's End only wearing boxer shorts and were determined to get everything they needed through the kindness of the people they encountered. It is a hilarious story and reaffirms the good in the  human race.

I am in line for several bestsellers through my public library so while I am waiting, I have started reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.  I recently found a list of the books from Oprah's First Book Club and thought I would go through some of these. I have read several already. Any who, really enjoying the adventures of Pip.

NOW SHOWING AT A THEATRE NEAR YOU...

 
We saw two movies last week, both nominated for Best Picture. The first was "Les Miserables". We had read the reviews in our paper which had panned it but we figured it had had a long run on Broadway so what the heck! It was HORRIBLE! First off, the singing ruined it. It could have been a good movie with dialogue. It was very dark and the camera angles were too close and off kilter which was distracting.  My hubby was squirming within 30 minutes. I was squirming in an hour. We probably should have left but stuck with it. Don't!!


To make up for the Les Miz blunder, we went to see "Life of Pi". It was the exact opposite of Les Miz.  The story was fascinating, the music was fabulous and the camera work was incredible. This one you should definitely see.

IN MY BLOGGING TRAVELS

Although this idea is not quilty, it is a great idea. Actually Kathy didn't think of it, her daughter did.  She gave Kathy a "Happy Jar".  I thought this was a great idea. I had thought about keeping a diary of sorts and had picked up a weekly calendar journal which had spaces for each day. I started on January 1st but already I could see my entries were getting boring! "Went to work", did some housecleaning".yawn! Since seeing Kathy's post, I have started looking for Happy moments. There is plenty of mundane, sad, and frustrating moments. Happy ones are sometimes hard to find so we should relish them and remember them.  Go check out Kathy's blog, she is a great quilter too!


4 comments:

julieQ said...

Thank you for the info about Les Mis...I was going to go see it, but forget that! I love the idea of a happy jar!!

Libby said...

I am one who won't be wasting a dime on Les Mis. I am one who hates the show - it made me squirm in my seat, too. If not for the possible embarrassment of those attending with me, I would have stood in the audience and yelled at the top of my lungs, "SHOOT HIM ALREADY! LET'S END THIS MIS!"

Debra Dixon said...

How about a little row of 9 patches like the ones in the bottom row across the top?

Melanie said...

Totally with you on the movie...I'll pass....Love your quilty piece, but more than that---love your whole attitude... You're in a great place right now...Fill up that jar....

Latest finish and a preview

I am taking this one with me to Florida for Cayden who is now ON THE MOVE. Just started walking! Not sure why the pictures are so pinky! I ...