Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Progress on the Mystery Quilt from Hell
Here is a picture of the block for my mystery quilt. The reason I call it the Mystery Quilt from Hell is because I have been working on this quilt on and off for 4 years!!! This was also my first (and last) mystery quilt.
As you can see the blocks are pretty detailed and the directions were poorly written. They were broken down in three steps (which each included 3 to 4 substeps to be done). The thing that made it more confusing is that you didn't do all the cutting up front. Each step included cutting and sewing directions, which I didn't realize and ran short on some of the green fabric. Thanks to my friend, Debbie, who hoards fabric she was able to pull something from her stash that matched perfectly!!
The first step was to make 80 flying geese units!! I started this on a retreat and after making all the flying geese was ready to fling it out the window!! Every now and then I would pick it up but each time it was like starting over trying to figure out where I left off and what part was next.
At any rate, I made this one of my UFOs or PIGs to finish for our guild's PIG roast in September. I have now completed all the blocks (12) and all of the pieced sashing units and I am ready to put this monster together. I had been planning to give it away since it had given me so much heartburn but now that the blocks are together I really like it...
I am sticking to at least an hour a day of quilting and doing that got these blocks done. I had been working on them for about 20 minutes and was ready to push them off but stuck with it for the full hour and they were completed.