Wednesday, May 23, 2012

My first Avante finish

Hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day! My son lives on the West Coast so I don't get to see him very often. I got a lovely card from him and a telephone call which was wonderful.  He later called to tell us to watch for a package addressed to him but said it was really for us.  I got a note from the postman that it required a siggy so I trooped down there last Friday and picked it up. What a surprise to open it and find this inside.




For those of you who know me, you know that I was born and raised a Red Sox fan and will go to my grave as one.  It's in the blood!  Number 15 is Dustin Pedroia, my favorite player.  I remember the first time I saw him play and knew that he was going to be great.  He only stands about 5'7" tall but he has the heart of a giant and eats and sleeps baseball.  I was soo excited to get my shirt.  My son had also included one for his dad. So now we both have shirts to wear when we watch the games. Of course, the first game I wore my shirt they won, which hasn't happened much this season, so now I will have to wear it for every game so I don't jinx them!


In quilting news, I finished my first quilt with my new BFF, Ava. Since it was my first adventure with her, I stuck with what I knew - a nice allover meander.  I also stuck with a thread color which was close to the fabric color just in case I had "issues".  This actually made it harder since it was hard to see where I had been and where I should be going!!! LOL!  Once I got the tension worked out, it went soo fast. I am in love! 

This quilt will be going to the Summit, which is a rest home in our area. They have a fabulous community room and have been so gracious about offering it to our guild for our meetings. In exchange, we make quilts for their residents. 


This quilt top has a special story. I bought it wayyy back in the mid 90's at an estate sale. As it turned out, the home had been owned by a quilter and there was lots of fabric, books, and many tops.  At the time I didn't know who the quilter was but later I found out it was a woman who had run our local quilt shop, Calico, Etc. which was where I took my first quilting class.  Cynthia was a fabulous piecer and quilter. She died of cancer many years ago but I know she would be pleased to know that her quilt top finally became a quilt and will be a comfort to someone in need.



8 comments:

Finishing Lines by K.Sperino said...

not sure which I like better - the shirt or the quilt! :)

Debra Dixon said...

Love the story of the quilt and such an excellent finish for it too! Good for you!

YankeeQuilter said...

Go Sox!!!

Joanne said...

I think the quilting looks great. No comment on the Red Sox -- first, I'm not a baseball fan, I'm a football fan and there is no other team than the Chicago Bears! LOL
I can foresee that you will be having many hours of fun with Ava!

Anonymous said...

As a lifelong baseball fan (Cincinnati Reds), I think your son picked out the most perfect, thoughtful gifts.
Lillian
lillianscupboard.wordpress.com

AnnieO said...

We're Dodger fans out here but my sports fan husband will watch just about any sport that has a ball in it :) I had three offspring and my husband watching the Kings win in hockey while they were all wearing Kings shirts.

Love the quilt story! I'm sure the quilter would indeed be thrilled.

laura west kong said...

Such lovely soft colors. Have fun with your new BFF!

ali said...

what great stories--finding the quilt top and it's maker, and trading quilts for space--terrific!

Latest finish and a preview

I am taking this one with me to Florida for Cayden who is now ON THE MOVE. Just started walking! Not sure why the pictures are so pinky! I ...