Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Quilts from MQX

I had a wonderful time at MQX on Friday. It was not crowded and the quilts were beautiful.  My friend, Diane and I bought lots of thread and were really inspired by the quilts.

Here are some of the highlights!

This was best in Show.  I love a girl who loves some bling!  It is called Red Letter Daze by Janet Stone of Kansas.  Each block is pieced and bound separately and appliqued to the background. This is the 7th in a series. 

This is a detail of one of the blocks. 

This one is by Kathy Sperino of Finishing Lines.  She is the gal who quilted my Quilt of Valor last year and we chat through our blogs and email from time to time.  She is a Red Sox fan so lots of commiserating of late.  Check out her blog and the latest commissioned work she did. It is spectacular.

This one is called Ribbons of Hope.


I also got an up close and personal look at Debra's quilt that she did last year with her friends, Rian and Deb called Stay the Course. 



This next one received three ribbons. Of note, one was Best Use of Thread (6000 yards of it!) and ladies, we better watch out!  it was done by a MAN! Yep, it is spectacular. It is called White Tail Morning by Dustin Farrell of PA.

Here is a detail of the thread painting.  He made 36 thread changes with 130 hours to create it.
I can't imagine at any point in my quilting life that I would I sit down and think, "Yep, I'm going to make this!!"

This one is  Call of Africa by a local gal, Mary Franc of Bethel CT. This is a big one!
On my quilting front, I am up to date on the CW blocks. Got my shams ready for quilting even though the quilt they go with has been put away until the fall. I'll get them quilted and completed so we have them for next year. I have pulled a quilt from the CRYPT and will load it this week. After all the gorgeous quilts I saw at MQX, I am pumped up to get  back to quilting. I have to get one done pretty quick to send to my great niece for her birthday. She will be 3 and is in need of a big girl quilt to replace the baby one I sent on her first birthday.

Then I will be moving on to my paint chip challenge due for the guild's picnic in June. Stay tuned. This should be a doozy.

4 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

Ribbons of hope...so appropriate for we Sox fans....

Thanks for sharing the inspiring quilt photos!

Debra Dixon said...

How great that you saw Stay the Course! It didn't show up very well on the blue background. Oh well.

At least you didn't come away intimidated. That happens to me sometimes when the work is so good.
Got the fabric--thanks a bunch!

Melanie said...

I love the deer quilt ... thanks for sharing....

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilts - I especially like the deer quilt.

Latest finish and a preview

I am taking this one with me to Florida for Cayden who is now ON THE MOVE. Just started walking! Not sure why the pictures are so pinky! I ...