Monday, June 02, 2008

Monday musings


I spent most of this weekend doing errands, cleaning, and gardening but did find some time on Sunday to work on my Round Robin. I was given the 12 inch center medallion and the first round is to add a border with points. I knew what I wanted to do, thanks to Anne at Quilting Bebbs. In fact, I emailed her to ask if it was ok to copy her and she was very gracious! I had saved the picture she had on her blog from her Spring RR because I absolutely loved it. Seww, I just had to execute it. I pulled out my Thangles and made my 1/2 square triangles and then had to attack the flying geese units. I hate the maths of quilting but pulled out a trusty old book and figured out the numbers. BUT, unfortunately, forgot the seam allowance for the points, which I didn't realize until the borders were ON and I was adding the little outer border. That's when ( to use a Massachusetts expression), "light dawned on Marblehead"! Doh! Well, at least I was consistent and all four points were chopped off. I still think it is effective. Thanks Anne for your super border idea. I just love it!
I know I have praised the internet in the past for linking all of us quilters together but I didn't realize how much so until yesterday when I was working on this border and I started thinking about some of the people who have touched my life..
First, from Anne in England, I got a great border idea!
From Debra in Texas, I got a link from her blog for a Youtube presentation by Sharon Schamer for executing the perfect binding. And I mean perfect! you have to check it out! Just go on Youtube and put in Sharon's name. I emailed Debra after I watched it and told her it was the best thing I had seen on the internet in a loonnng time.
From Life is a Stitch's Nancy, I am finishing a super mystery quilt. (and I swore after my first one, remember Mystery Quilt from Hell, I would never do another).
From England and France, I received my beautiful postcards from Christine, Annette, Brigitte, Jennifer and Cindy, which brighten my day every month. And it goes beyond quilting....
Vicki's (field trips in Fiber) birdie updates...
Pictures from the proms, the new babies, the dogs and cats...
I chat now and again with Libby in California, Joanne at Rocking on the Porch, Patti (go Mariners!) Amy at the Calico Cat and not just about quilting but about life,kids,family, music, and baseball.
Woww! I'm getting a little teary here. Well that's my Monday Musings! Thanks to all of you out there who have touched my life... and it all started with quilting.


5 comments:

Vicki W said...

I think your border is very effective! I agree with you about the internet. I have learned so much and made so many more great friends. I can't imagine being without it!

Libby said...

Wow - you did a great job on the border *s* Honestly, there's a book that helps you with the math? *lol* I don't know if I would have had the wherewithall to work it all out. You ROCK!

Unknown said...

Annie - the border looks terrific - glad you got it to work and happy to help :o)

Unknown said...

BTW if I haven't already emailed you the patterns arrived safely - thank you they're lovely

laura west kong said...

It's gorgeous, and you know just this morning I was looking at some directions for a block where the points were deliberately cut off at the edge like that. Just makes a different shape that's all. ^_^

Latest finish and a preview

I am taking this one with me to Florida for Cayden who is now ON THE MOVE. Just started walking! Not sure why the pictures are so pinky! I ...