I have finished part one of my TIF project. I had decided to go with the color theme and my inspiration was the Rose Parade. All those floats covered with beautiful flowers but how to translate the flowers to fiber?? I chose to work with felt and to do it three-dimensional. I had seen this book, Fresh Felt Flowers, and had tucked it away for a future project. And here they are......white calla lilies.
here is a closeup of the inside of the lily.. pretty neat, huh?? Perfect for those with allergies, as long as it doesn't include wool (LOL) and those who do not have a green thumb!
They were really pretty easy to make. The stems are floral wire inside of the flexible plastic tubing you use in an aquarium covered with felt. I still need to make the leaves to go with them and I am thinking about making a couple of irises (if time permits) using lutrador and wool roving. I have a Baby Lock Embellisher and I would like to try to incorporate it more into my projects. The second part of the project is to also make the vase. I have seen lots of boxes being made and I want to adapt that design for the vase. I am going to combine lutrador and wool roving to bring in the purple and mint green colors from the challenge. These flowers were perfect to make today as we were hit with 8 inches of snow overnight.
In other quilty news, I have nearly finished machine quilting the cowboy charity quilt. All that is left is the borders. I am going to free motion stars on it,then the binding and label. It will be my first WISP (Work in SLoooowww Process) to be completed for the New Year. I am still working on my son's snowboarder quilt and spent some time reorganizing the work area this weekend.
Well, back to work room.. Everyone have a great week!!