I know I have been away for a while but I have been plugging along with different projects that had definite deadlines. I finished all of my postcards for the postcard exchange. They went out in the mail on last Friday. These are a few pictures of them before they were mailed.
This top postcard was made from a wax resist piece that I did about a year ago. The nice thing about making postcards is that, since they are only 4 inches x 6 inches, you can use leftover pieces, orphan blocks or experiments!
The second card is called Never Enough Time. It is stamped and I added pieces from old watches under mesh with a little saying. I really like these and did a half dozen of them.
The leaf postcard was a sunprint that I did last summer. I just added some decorative stitching and some gold stamped leaves to it.
The fish postcards were fun to make. I let the fabric do most of the work then added the fish stamp with fabric paint and added some beads and eyelash yarn for seaweed and the binding.
Lastly, I have posted a picture of my latest journal page. The journal pages are 8 1/2 x 11. When I started this class, I thought it would be easy since the piece was small. Boy, was I wrong!!! Working in this size requires a whole different mindset and perspective. But I am really enjoying it as it gives me an opportunity to try different techniques on a small scale.
The beach scene is for June and in anticipation of my trip to Florida. I LOVE SUMMER!! So this one was a no-brainer. The sky and water are handpainted fabric which I did about 2 years ago. The beach has real sand and little shells on it and a cool texture to it.Those bumps and wrinkles are on purpose. LOL!! This was done with expandable paint from Pebeo. I just painted it onto an ugly piece of fabric. (The fabric doesn't have to be ugly but I think it's easier to paint over ugly fabric than pretty fabric. LOL) I added the shells and sand and let it dry. The magic occurs when you hit it with a heat gun! It expands and makes all kinds of nooks and crannies. I then painted it and added a little glitter. I don't recommend sewing it, though you can, but it sure beats up the needle. I just used Steam a Seam to attach it to the water and sky piece and then secured it to the batting.
I also used my new toy, the Embellisher, to needle punch the Angelina fibers into the water to make it all sparkly! I used my favorite binding of late, the Eyelash yarn around the outside. I think it came out pretty spiffy!
I really put myself into a quilting hole by taking on a bunch of challenges and classes all at once and I am now just about out from under them all. There is so much I want to do and learn but this last month quilting was almost like WORK~ I don't ever want that to happen. Sewww, I am planning on cruising through summer with a couple of bed quilts that need to be finished and quilted and some redwork for those days on the beach.
I am headed to Florida next Thursday for my nephew's wedding. My son is a groomsman and all of my family from here in the Northeast are headed for Jacksonville. I can't wait to see my sister, Kathy. Our visits are too infrequent. So, I will post pictures on my return !