I am not a big fan of memes but I thought this one was neat because it gives everyone a little sneak peak into everyone else's "neck of the woods". I saw this on Amy's blog, http://www.thecalicocat.blogspot.com.
Imagine you’ve made a connection with another blogger who lives in a completely different part of the world than you do. This blogger is about to take a trip and the connection you’ve made is so strong that she is going to make your house one stop on her trip. (Yay!) Unfortunately she can only stay at your place for 24 hours (boo!), but she’d like to see some nearby sights while visiting with you.Keeping in mind that time is quite limited so you have to stick pretty close to home (although not necessarily right IN your town - just anyplace you could go as a day trip), try looking around you with the eyes of someone who has never seen your area and tell us some things you’d share with…
A Visitor to Your Hometown
1. Your visitor wants to see something historical. Where would you take her and why?
I live in the center of Connecticut and every destination is 90 minutes or closer. I work in Hartford, CT so, If it's wintertime (BRRRRR! and UGHHH!) I would take her first to the Mark Twain House and then around the corner is the Harriet Beecher Stowe House where there is an awesome quilt display right now. Then we could go to Bushnell Park and take a ride on the one of the oldest carousels in America. If it's the summer, (MMMM! Sunshine!!) we could head for the shore and visit Gillette's Castle and the Goodspeed Opera House. Or maybe you're a gambler, we could stop by Foxwoods Casino or Mohegan Sun Casino and try our luck!!
2. She wants to see something hysterical…well, mildly amusing anyway. She’d even go for cute, quirky, odd, or unique. Where would you take her and why?
Just an aside, There is a house across the lake from where I live in Wolcott, CT, that is shaped like the hull of a boat, which is kind of neat and on sale for only $850,000!
3. She wants to take some beautiful and/or interesting photos to fill her albums when she gets home. Where would you take her?
While we are in Hartford, we could go to Elizabeth Park (if it's springtime) to see the fabulous rose gardens and a picture of the Mark Twain house is a must-have! Of course if we head for the shore, Gillette's castle will be an awesome picture both inside and out and we would definitely stop by the ocean for a view of the waves!!!
4. She’d like to buy a souvenir that will remind her of your area every time she sees it. What would you suggest and where would you go to get it?
I'm sure we would find something at the Mark Twain House. If we stop by the Casino, which is not far from Gillette Castle, there is tons of shopping there or we could stop at the Outlet Stores!
5. Wow, it’s been a long day and you’re both ready for a snack, or maybe even a meal. Where would you take her to really get the flavor of your area?
If we are in Hartford, I would take you to Max's in West Hartford for the Raw Bar. If we are on the shore, the Griswold Inn is the place to go! It has been in operation as an inn since 1776!
Wowww, I always think of Connecticut as boring but there is some good stuff here! I think I need to take a road trip!!