Monday, August 28, 2006

Mystery Quilt from Hell is HEAVENLY!


Here is the mystery quilt that I started in May, 2002 and will finish in August, 2006. This is my first and possibly last mystery quilt. As I previously posted, I had a HECK of a time working with the crazy cutting and sewing instructions. A quilting friend of mine who has watched me struggle with this over a period of time aptly named this "Mystery quilt from Hell". But now that it is done, I really like it. I am not a big fan of star blocks but this one is pretty intricate and I really LIKE it.

I was hoping to show it with borders but of course, this saga is not over yet.. I used the fabric which I was to save for the borders in another quilt some time ago. Who knew I would actually finish this UFO??? So, I will be off to the fabric store tomorrow for the borders but I wanted to share this with everyone. The lighting in my living room is horrible. It's actually much brighter but once it's finished I will take another really GOOD picture.

On another note, I wanted to say that a couple of you blog gals were in my sewing room with me when I was working on this quilt. I I don't know which of one of you mentioned this, either Dawn or Patti or Judy, but as I was clipping seams to make things lie flatter, you were there.. And when I looked to see if this was square, Tonya was in my ear saying " I don't mind if it's a little WONKY! Anyway, the more you trim the smaller it gets!" LOL.

I have coffee with 28 super quilters and super ladies every morning and little bits of your lives mix with mine. Your experience in quilting is overwhelming and I have learned so much not only about quilting but about the many women living all over this country as well as other parts of the world -Egypt, Australia, the Netherlands and England. So thanks for your encouragement, your advice, your knowledge and your love of quilting. I've done so much more quilting in the last couple of months and it is thanks to all you ladies out there in quilters blogland.
BTW, who is the gal who just bought the Christmas fabric to make her quilt?? You mentioned the website, which I visited and LOVED, but of course, forgot to bookmark it. If you read this, please email me the link.

HUGS to all!!! Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

Kim West said...

That is very pretty - I can see where it would get a bit harrowing!!

I, too, love to spend my mornings with everyone getting little glimpses into their lives.

Leah Spencer said...

I like that quilt, it looks like the perfect blend of summer and fall. :)

Patti said...

Hi Annie,

I know I did a couple posts with close-ups of the backs of Broken Dishes blocks showing pressing and clipping. Maybe that was me - seems like you sent me a couple questions. If so, I'm so very glad I was able to help you. Also, I recently fell off the No Fabric in August wagon to buy Mistletoe Manor for a Christmas quilt. The site I love is www.zandsfabrics.com. Is this the site you are talking about?

I'm so glad you were able to finish the mystery from hell and are happy with how it looks. That makes it all worthwhile, and you will enjoy using the quilt.

Hedgehog said...

It's beautiful! Congrats. Good luck with the border shopping.

Fiona said...

Well worth all of the angst - looks very intricate.

Melanie said...

It looks green and black from the pics. Stick a Pumpkin in front of it and you have the perfect Halloween decoration. It turned out great.
Melanie

Quilts And Pieces said...

I love having coffee with you every morning! :)

Those are great stars, and isn't it great to know you finished it! I can't wait to see what you get for borders!

Libby said...

Your quilt turned out just darned nice. I agree with you on no more mystery quilts. They can really be hit or miss. If a quilt is going to be a miss, I want to blame it all on myself.
Time to go refill my coffee *s*

KC Quilter said...

Oh, wow, your mystery quilt turned out fabulous!!! And I must admit, I do that all the time too---use up fabric from a set of coordinates and find out later I really shouldn't have LOL!

Linda C said...

you know it doesn't look all that star like with the alternating blocks between and the fabric blends. Bet is is a relief to be done with it after earning that name!

Darlene said...

While it might be your Mystery Quilt from Hell it truly is very pretty. I know you'll enjoy it more when it's completely done!
:-)

Eileen said...

I agree with you-I love the sharing this blogging has given me.
I do like the quilt, what color borders are you thinking about?

Laura said...

I love mystery quilts and I love this green! Thanks for posting on my blog, I am glad to have found yours!

Nines said...

some projects are like that- they have to grow on you! You used up the border fabric in another project? I'm shocked. Never done that, myself. Of course I jest. Well, that'll keep this quilt top nice and fresh, eh? And you get to shop! Woohoo! It'a all good. Congrats on "finishing" a project. It ain't done, yet. bummer. And yes, I have a longarm- Gammill. It's kinda like you and this quilt- a love/hate relationship!

MARCIE said...

Great looking mystery quilt! I have never had the nerve to do one because I like to know where I am going! That is a great block though. I would try it! Maybe if you had known where the steps were leading it would have been easier. Way to perservere!

Mary Johnson said...

This turned out great and if you don't find a border that you like I think it looks just fine without one.

Finn said...

Great quilt Annie...really a knock your socks off quilt!!

So glad it's coming to it's conclusion, and you can use it and enjoy the effort you put into it! Hugs for a job well done, it's a pleasure to have coffee with you every morning. Hope you don't mind a few toast crumbs here and there...LOL Hugs, Finn

Latest finish and a preview

I am taking this one with me to Florida for Cayden who is now ON THE MOVE. Just started walking! Not sure why the pictures are so pinky! I ...