Thursday, July 13, 2006

My First Finished Quilt


After roaming through Blogland yesterday to several quilters' blogs, I was inspired to pull out some photos of quilts I had completed. This one is the first quilt I ever finished. (I say that because the first quilt I ever started is still in my closet and also has the honor of being my first UFO, more about that one later.)

This quilt was made for my sister in Florida. She and her husband have a zillion cats, not really, but she has at least 4. (Sorry the picture is so small) My sister, Kathy, was actually the one who infected me with the QUILTING VIRUS . I, however, have surpassed her in a few short years. I have a bigger stash, 2 more machines than she has, and tons more gadgets!!! (so there!! you can't see me right now but I am sticking out my tongue at her!!!) Actually, she is my best friend in the world and I bless her daily for introducing me to quilting. I have made so many friends through fabric.

OK, new subject! I am not a hand quilter. I don't mind doing little quilts but the thought of doing a full size by hand is daunting and machine quilting something that big is not much fun either. You know, shoving all that fabric through the little opening on the machine. SEW, For Christmas, my DH, with my assistance, bought me a Gracie II machine quilting frame. He put it together in my sewing room and there it sat for a while. I finally put my Janome on it and realized that the opening was going to be too small for machine quilting. SEW, for Mother's Day, my DH, again with my assistance, bought me a Janome 1660P with a speed control. This machine is a workhorse and does 1600 stitches per minute. Well, this sat in my sewing room for some time because of previous quilting commitments. ANY WHO, last night, DH and DS were out and about, so I set the machine up on the frame and after an hour, I had the machine threaded, the bobbin wound, and some practice fabric on the frame and off I went.

WOW!!!! This is going to be some fun!! By this time, it was about 10pm so I headed to bed with visions of quilting designs dancing in my head. I will try to get some pics of my frame and my practice work next week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a gem of a DH! Good luck with your quilting practice :-)

Fiona said...

Hi Annie - thanks for your comments on my blog. I'll be interested to see how you get on with the quilting frame - might get put on my list of wants if it works for you!

Latest finish and a preview

I am taking this one with me to Florida for Cayden who is now ON THE MOVE. Just started walking! Not sure why the pictures are so pinky! I ...