I received my swap partner's name and decided last Saturday to spend the afternoon making mug rugs. IDEALLY, you are talking about a couple of FQs worth of fabric and some batting for pair of mug rugs which was the swap and I figured I'd whip up a couple of extras for myself. A nice little project, maybe a couple of hours.
However, HERE'S THE REALITY !!!
My initial idea was to make two blocks framed side by side. This fabric was too dark so I ditched it.
I liked this combo! The red and white check gives it a diner feel~but of course I cut the novelty fabric too small and the frame too wide and the two block idea was dropped. The red and white check was overwhelming the novelty print. This ended up in the Orphan Block bin.
This next size worked out great! But it had been a week since I had read the requirements of the swap and I went ahead and zigzagged the edges which was a no-no. The edges had to be bound or enclosed. So I decided to try to add bias tape all around. A DISASTER!! Did not like the finished look of that. So I took it off and decided the zig zagged mug rugs would live with me.
Finally, after approximately SIX hours, here is the finished mug rug ( there are two) which will go to my partner who lives in Florida this weekend with some added goodies.
Oh, and here is the pile of scrap from making FOUR mug rugs.
It seemed so simple! LOL~