Saturday, January 01, 2011

Good Riddance 2010, Welcome 2011

DRUM ROLL, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, it's a day or two late but I finished my rectangles king size quilt ( I think there are about 600+ rectangles) which was my promised project for Finn's New Years' Challenge. I got it back from my long arm quilter last week and had the binding all ready to go. I'm going to make pillow shams to match and my goal is to have them done by the end of January.


Here is a detail of the quilting. I picked the ginko leaf which looks pretty nice with the taupes and japanese fabrics.

As far as quilting goes, 2010 was pretty pathetic with only 3 quilts finished. I, for one, am glad that 2010 is finished. The last half was tough but as my dad always said "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger". I'm feeling pretty strong and I'm ready for 2011!

We had a quiet but lovely Christmas. Here is my favorite quilty present from my hubby. He even wrapped it in a patchwork of paper.


It's the Shape Cut Pro which cuts fabric strips the width of fabric.

We also had a very quiet New Year's Eve. We didn't kid ourselves. Knowing we wouldn't make it to midnight, Bob popped the champagne at 9 and we pushed 2010 out the door and welcomed in 2011.

I'm pretty excited about quilting in 2011 and got my quilting mojo going early. I have already made some blocks for 2011. this year, I have been watching Jeanne of Spiral complete the Block a Day project. She did an amazing job! Go check out her blog for the tally of quilt tops. As I was watching her work her way through the 366 blocks, I decided to buy the calendar and this year I am going to try to repeat Jeanne's phenomal achievement!
I started making the blocks using what was on hand and with no real plan (i.e., my usual way of doing things!). January 1st block was the snowball. So I pulled from my precut stash and made two blocks. And like Melanie talked about this week, I hate to waste the little triangles, so I sewed them together and made another block.



I was going to just add the blocks to my box of orphans until I came up with a plan but looking ahead on the calendar, I quickly realized that I would probably end up with a mish mash of blocks. So I went back and pulled fabric for the first few blocks which relate to snow. I've got January 1 and January 2 blocks finished and have cut the pieces for January 3rd. I'll share these at the end of the week.

I also pulled out my orphan block box to see what was in there. What a mess!!
Not only were there lots of errant blocks but lots of parts, 1/2 square triangles, bits and pieces, leftover sashing. So I sorted everything, grouped some things together that actually might make up a quilt or two, and went through the parts. I had enough 1/2 square triangles to make these blocks.

My quilting resolutions this year (I must have one or two!) are to do more handwork while I sit in front of the TV, try to clean up some of the Pigs in the Poke that have been there forever, but also work on some new things which I think will keep my mojo going .I also want to post to my blog on a more regular basis and the B-a-D project will help me do that.

I want to wish a Happy New Year to my blogger friends. I really appreciate those of you who have checked in on me over the last few months. It really lifted my spirits. I'm through with chemo and start radiation treatment on Monday. By mid-February, I will be done with that and then will be put on a daily medication. I"ll know more about the paticulars of that when I meet with my doc at the end of the week.


Until then, Quilt til you wilt!

4 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

You are doing so well! I'm glad you have your quilting mojo back. The UFO finish is wonderful. I only committed to 2 on the NYE UFO and was able to complete them. I set my expectations low :)

Kay said...

Good luck, Annie. I hope the radiation goes well w/o much in the way of side effects. As far as the quilt projects go: wonderful! I love the king size quilt, and you were so smart to choose a nice open pattern like the gingko. Have fun with the pinwheels...I'm going to do more of those too.

YankeeQuilter said...

Nice quilting choice for your quilt! Good (and Healthy!)thoughts for the new year!

Unknown said...

Your quilt turned out so pretty .... That must have been some happy mail when you got it back from the long arm person :)

Best wishes for the coming new year .... Hoping it's Healthy AND Happy!

Latest finish and a preview

I am taking this one with me to Florida for Cayden who is now ON THE MOVE. Just started walking! Not sure why the pictures are so pinky! I ...