Saturday, March 01, 2008

Take It Further -February-Blowin' in the Wind


Despite having an extra day, I wasn't able to complete my TIF til today. I orginally had thought I would do something with old board games but while cleaning up my sewing room, I came across a picture of my Nana from the sixties. Here she is dressed for church and what is she standing next to???... a clothesline. This started my wheels turning. I remember well her old wringer washing machine and hanging clothes at her house. As a kid (and being the oldest), I also hung my share of clothes. We didn't get a dryer til I was in junior high. I actually looked at my sketchbook and there were three sketches about laundry and song titles. I may continue with the series later in the spring.


Anyway, I call this "Blowin' in the Wind", a nod to Bob Dylan and laundry and a simpler time.

In addition, in my quest towards being "greener" in my life and my quilting, I have recycled some materials. I made the clouds from a used dryer sheet. (I save them to use as foundations for string blocks.) The sheets and the laundry in the basket are made from a handiwipe (rinsed and dried) and the basket is cut from an old summer purse.

Sharon B's challenge is really helping me to take my quilting further. Now what to do about March??!?

8 comments:

Libby said...

Oh how I long to have a clothes line *s* Our HOA does not allow them. I am thinking that I am going to make a plea on behalf of saving the earth to allow me to put one up. Do they honestly think that no one here in 'Snootyville' ever has dirty clothes?
I think your piece really captures the image well.

Kay said...

That's very clever,Annie. I like the 3-D effect.

P.D. Crumbaker said...

Love the piece and the comments. I helped my grandmother at the wringer machine as well and then up went the clothes on the clothes line. What a lovely smell when you went to gather them in. I'll always think that sunshine smells like freshly washed sheets!

Thanks for sharing.
pdc

appleseed said...

I really like this piece. It makes me happy just to look at it!
Great job!

Anonymous said...

Love this piece. Hope you are hanging out your washing and not using that dryer!

Meg in Tennessee said...

I remember clothes lines! I also recycle my used softner sheets, but I don't think you will get me to uses a clothes line again, sure the clothes smell wonderful, for a short while, but they are so stiff. I remember how happy I was to feel how soft the clothes were out of the dryer. I have good memories of helping my Mom hang the clothes.

Within A Quarter Inch said...

Oh - I just love this little piece. It is darling! Great job and I hope to see more of your pictorials!

Kim said...

I think the 3D is wonderful and a great interpretation of those memories. Sweet.

Latest finish and a preview

I am taking this one with me to Florida for Cayden who is now ON THE MOVE. Just started walking! Not sure why the pictures are so pinky! I ...